On Sunday, May 20th, 2012, coinciding with my one-year anniversary of graduating college, I ran the Marine Corps Historic Half Marathon in Fredericksburg, VA. My official chip time: 2:06:21.
Now the race report.
Training
I started my training plan officially on March 10th, 2012. After only recently discovering that I actually liked running, my goals for time seemed lofty at that point. When I registered, I was only running casually with coworkers, putting in an average of 8-10 miles per week. To amp up the intensity, I used Hal Higdon's Intermediate (found here: http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51132/Half-Marathon-Intermediate-Training-Program), and dove into it a few weeks in. I have no training regrets, having accomplished both distance and time goals without any injuries (thank goodness). It's incredible that 6 months ago, I couldn't even run for 10 minutes straight.
Race Day The plan was to hold off the sauce for a week prior, get a good nights sleep the night before, and wake up early for a warmup the day of. Sadly, none of those goals were accomplished. After battling the most gruesome hangover all day Saturday, Sunday I groggily awake with just enough time to stuff down a bagel w/ olive oil and half a banana. I also consume several cups of coffee to get the digestive system started, and thankfully, the poop gods were kind.
After an hour's drive, we arrive in Fredericksburg and are psyched to begin.
THE RACE
My initial goal, set in March, was to break 2:10:00. As my training went on in April, I felt unsure of making this goal. At the starting line, I settled in about halfway between the 2:00:00 and 2:30:00 corral.
At the starting gunshot, I immediately feel like I'm moving too slow. Screw it, I said, I'm going to enjoy the first mile or two and run like the wind. Here were my splits according to Endomondo, not factoring in a bit of walking before the start line:
Time Split
Mile 1 0:09:53 0:09:53
Mile 2 0:09:05 0:18:58
Mile 3 0:09:12 0:28:10
Mile 4 0:09:11 0:37:21
Mile 5 0:09:00 0:46:21
Mile 6 0:09:05 0:55:26
Mile 7 0:09:43 1:05:09
Mile 8 0:09:14 1:14:23
Mile 9 0:09:29 1:23:52
Mile 10 0:09:56 1:33:48
Mile 11 0:10:08 1:43:56
Mile 12 0:09:53 1:53:49
Mile 13 0:09:51 2:03:40
And a lovely chart of the course (because I love charts):
Now the race report.
Training
I started my training plan officially on March 10th, 2012. After only recently discovering that I actually liked running, my goals for time seemed lofty at that point. When I registered, I was only running casually with coworkers, putting in an average of 8-10 miles per week. To amp up the intensity, I used Hal Higdon's Intermediate (found here: http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51132/Half-Marathon-Intermediate-Training-Program), and dove into it a few weeks in. I have no training regrets, having accomplished both distance and time goals without any injuries (thank goodness). It's incredible that 6 months ago, I couldn't even run for 10 minutes straight.
Race Day The plan was to hold off the sauce for a week prior, get a good nights sleep the night before, and wake up early for a warmup the day of. Sadly, none of those goals were accomplished. After battling the most gruesome hangover all day Saturday, Sunday I groggily awake with just enough time to stuff down a bagel w/ olive oil and half a banana. I also consume several cups of coffee to get the digestive system started, and thankfully, the poop gods were kind.
After an hour's drive, we arrive in Fredericksburg and are psyched to begin.
THE RACE
My initial goal, set in March, was to break 2:10:00. As my training went on in April, I felt unsure of making this goal. At the starting line, I settled in about halfway between the 2:00:00 and 2:30:00 corral.
At the starting gunshot, I immediately feel like I'm moving too slow. Screw it, I said, I'm going to enjoy the first mile or two and run like the wind. Here were my splits according to Endomondo, not factoring in a bit of walking before the start line:
Mile 1 0:09:53 0:09:53
Mile 2 0:09:05 0:18:58
Mile 3 0:09:12 0:28:10
Mile 4 0:09:11 0:37:21
Mile 5 0:09:00 0:46:21
Mile 6 0:09:05 0:55:26
Mile 7 0:09:43 1:05:09
Mile 8 0:09:14 1:14:23
Mile 9 0:09:29 1:23:52
Mile 10 0:09:56 1:33:48
Mile 11 0:10:08 1:43:56
Mile 12 0:09:53 1:53:49
Mile 13 0:09:51 2:03:40
And a lovely chart of the course (because I love charts):
Miles 1-4.5 were HILLY AS HELL, with several consecutive rolling hills. Supporters were dense, with even a tequila and jello shots stand around mile 4 (the leftover hangover deterred me - probably for the best). Despite the inclines, I flew by the first few miles off of pure energy, passing most mid-corral runners in the first mile.
Mile 5-6 were my quickest, and the best in terms of terrain/energy/water stops. At this point we were downtown Fredericksburg, running through the town with people cheering on. I must have had plenty of adrenaline, because I was not tired AT ALL. Ended up PRing the first 10k (ill-advised, I know), so I tried to slow slightly.
Around mile 7, a significant number of runners of my corral dropped back and started walking. This gives me energy, since I felt like a beast for passing noobs, and I zipped through the next 2.
Mile 10 comes around and I'm starting to feel it. At this point, jelly beans have been acquired and I've munched on a few. Holy crap this hill is massive. Hospital Hill at mile 10.5 is a long, winding incline that I can only describe as running consistently uphill for over a mile. I was able to push through on a very form-focused job, but my time and energy suffered. I noticed several faster runners walking the hill and falling back.
Mile 11 - I'm basically high on endorphins, charging this hill. I confuse myself and miscount miles. Damnit, I'm not actually at mile 12 yet.
Mile 12 - FINALLY I'M AT MILE 12 AND THIS ROUTE IS STILL UPHILL?!?!
Mile 13 - I hear it announced on Endomondo at least a half mile before I actually reach it (must have started it off on the GPS or something), but IDGAF. The hill finally recedes and allows for a flat stretch for the last bit. It was phenomenal! Pace had me tagged around 8:10 as I sprinted my way through the last quarter mile.
Overall it went wonderfully. For my first half marathon, I am completely satisfied with both a distance and time PR. After seeing the results of some pretty dedicated training, I'm looking forward to my next (Woodrow Wilson Half in October), and hopefully getting closer to breaking 2:00:00.
Congratulations to everybody who participated, and thank you to the Marines for your service.
![]() |
| Davis, myself, and Nolan after crossing the finish! Achievements unlocked and feeling great. |


No comments:
Post a Comment